Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Valentine's Day Fun!

This year, we were all snowed in on Valentine's Day.  That meant no parties and no exchanging of cards at school.

Emma and I decided to do a Valentine's Day craft anyway.  I found a recipe for homemade clay online using flour (most recipes call for corn starch, but we didn't have any of that). You can find the recipe HERE.

We decided to make heart ornaments out of the clay.



We added red food coloring to most of the "dough".  The boys thought we were making cookies!



We didn't have any heart shaped cookie cutters so I hand cut each heart with a steak knife.


Emma then decorated them with beads and buttons, and she painted them with egg whites.

The baked product wasn't quite what I expected.  I think a few were still too thick in the middle because they were still sort of soft after they baked.  They also didn't look as good as we hoped straight out of the oven so Emma painted them with red, pink and purple paint.  Then she sprinkled with blue glitter.

JC went out into the snow and cut a tree limb that we could use as an ornament tree.


I think they turned out great after the paint and glitter!




2 comments:

Love Being A Nonny said...

I was wondering all the way thru your post what you were going to hang them on. Great idea!

Lisa Odom said...

Great project for a snowy day!

Beautiful pictures

I want your kitchen.

Blog Design by Caked Designs