Friday, November 21, 2008

Adoption Update


I got a call yesterday from our agency! There is a little girl who may still be available for International adoption in the region of Sakhalin (the island north of Japan). All we know is that she is between 2 to 3 years old. That is a lot older than we had originally had our hearts set on. Almost immediately, I decided to not even persue this little girl. From the very beginning, we had told the agency that we were open to any region of Russia except for Sakhalin. The main reason was because it is an eight hour flight from Moscow, and there are extra costs involved with adopting from that region.

Anyway, our agency coordinator kept talking about the region, and the successful adoptions that they are seeing there. She also reminded me that most of the other children are older coming out of every region because of the foster care system.

The Disadvantages to this region
1. More travel...longer flights

The Advantages
1. Medical information is available before travel
2. Possibly up to 2 photos available before travel
3. Most adoptions are having the 10 day waiting period after court waived

The more she talked, the more interested I became so I asked if she could forward me the information. That's when she told me that our dossier will need to be filed in Sakhalin before the information will be released. That scared me a little - like I was thinking, does this lock us in to adopting from this region only if this little girl does not work out? I asked our coordinator to find that out for us. I told her that I would call TheDentist and see how he felt about it too...

So...I hung up the phone very excited. I called TheDentist who actually answered his phone. He immediately said to go for it...have our dossier filed to get the information. He didn't even want to wait to see if we would be locked in to that region.

I called our coordinator back and had to leave all that in a voicemail. I finally got a call back from her about 5 hours later, and she had spoken with the facilitator in Russia. She requested our dossier be filed, and she found out that we are not locked in to that region!

The information will hopefully be sent out, translated and forwarded to us by the middle of December!

I am really trying hard not to get excited since this is the second little girl that could be our daughter.

We shall see...we'll just wait and pray taking it one day at a time until we receive the information.

5 comments:

☆ Loren ☆ said...

I came across your blog recently and wanted you to know that i am inspired by your story. My Husband & I dream of adopting a little girl from Russia one day. Im excited to read about your journey to Emma. My prayers are with you!!

God's Girl said...

Oh... my heart is so excited for you guys! That is what I thought originally when we adopted... I wanted younger, and yet, when the Lord provided our 2 year old - she was perfect.

I can't wait to see what God is going to do in providing you with the right child for your family.

My prayers are with you!

Julie

Anonymous said...

I came across your blog through My Adoption Website. I have spent time in Russia and Ukraine working and volunteering in orphanages and baby houses. I just wanted to let you know how excited I am for your family! Good luck and I will keep your family in my prayers.

Ashley (Baltimore)

megzie said...

i came across your blog and just wanted to say, I'll be praying for your family and your little girl. I know she's out there somewhere :)

Jenna Marie Howard said...

Hello
I just wanted to stop by and tell you I enjoy reading your blog. I am adopted and have three other adopted siblings and find such encouragement knowing you are a soon to be adoptive parent who obviously loves the little girl God has in store for you. I want to encourage you as you are struggling with the timing, Not knowing and approval of a little girl for your family. My words may not mean much but take heart; God is using you to witness, call out, and encourage other people who are going through many of the same issues. You are not stopping but remaining firm that a precious little girl will be yours! If my parents had stopped trying when time began to get rough I would not be where I am today. Know this, when the time comes and you hold your little girl in your arms you will know no other girl would have done. This baby was for you and she WILL thank you one day for not ceasing in your determination to adopt her! I thank you for that!
I am the Director of Public Relations for a non-profit organization called World Orphans. We build family style church based orphan homes all over the world and our mission is simple E3 to reach each church…each child…each community. I would love for you to take a look at our website and let me know if you have any questions. (www.worldorphans.com) I hope you will have a glorious blessed day!

Jenna M. Howard
-Director of Public Relations
www.Worldorphans.org
Jennah@worldorphans.org
www.JennaMarieHoward.com

Blog Design by Caked Designs