Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Happy Birthday and New Year's Eve

Today is my Mom's birthday!
Happy Birthday MiMi!!!!
The boys and I met my mom and sister for lunch to start the celebration! I tried to get a few pitcures to capture this day, but the boys had other plans! The photo below is the best one of all three of them.
They were "horsing around" so much that MiMi gave in and they all made a silly face!
After lunch, I had Jack take a photo of all three of us...he is
a pretty good photographer to be five years old.
Where has 2008 gone? It seems like it just started, but when I reflect on this year, I realize that so much has occurred! There are two major things that happened to our family in 2008. The first is that we decided to pursue international adoption. We chose to adopt from Russia and our application was submitted to our agency on March 6th. What a great feeling!!! For about a year and a half, adoption and having a little girl in our family seemed like just a dream. Then one day, the Lord spoke to us, and we realized that our little girl didn't have to be just a dream!!! The second is the heartbreaking loss of my father on April 21st - just six days after my 34th birthday! The last time I saw my dad was on my birthday! It's hard to believe that we are on the brink of a new year starting - a year in which my father will not be here with us. We miss you daddy and think about you every day!!!

MiMi, Brendan and PaPa - Easter 2002
I pray that each of you find faith, peace, health and good fortune in 2009!

9 comments:

Stacy said...

Hi...I am so sorry to hear about your father - I can't imagine! I love the picture of you with your mom and sister..I always wanted a sister :) (I have one brother and we are only 15 months apart and are very close but I wanted to experience that sister bond too)! Anyways, to answer your question...the Pink Pig is a train ride in a "pink pig" (it is pink and looks like a pig) and it was originally on top of the Macy's building at a BIG mall in downtown Atlanta....it was VERY popular for people all over to come ride the Pink Pig! They have since moved it from the top of the Macy's building to beside the building due to safety reasons. It is still very popular for people who live near Atlanta. EVERYTHING is pink (they have a store that literally everything is pink and they sell everything you can imagine using pink pigs! I guess it is just a tradition in Atlanta.

I hope you guys have a safe night tonight - we opted to stay home this year with the kids (first time ever for us) and we had so much fun. We played the Wii with the kids all night :). I am a little sad that we are not out with all of our friends but we also had so much fun just relaxing at home with the kids tonight :).

Happy NEW YEAR!!! Stacy

Jodee said...

Happy Birthday to your Mom! I love the "girls" picture. You are sooo lucky to have a sister!

I am also so sorry for your loss this year. You must miss him tons.

I hope you have a Happy New Year!

The Palm Gifts said...

Hi Carolina Girl :)
Happy New Year!!
From Another Carolina Girl!
Rebecca
The Palm Gifts

Rick said...

Hello! Please forgive my boldness, but I wanted to invite you to come over and be a part of my annual giveaway. There are no gimmicks. It's just my way of celebrating two years of blogging. I'm giving away a free caricature drawn by me. I'd be honored if you came over and signed up.

Tara said...

Happy Birthday to your mom and I hope your family will have a great New Year. We watched the Carolina game until 11:55pm and then turned it to watch the ball drop. I was disappointed with the outcome of the bowl game but if they continue to improve every year....who knows and Butch is recruiting with the best! I think we'll all be disappointed with less than a National Championship in basketball but one bad game and it's over. They look good so far!

I love the names of your Dachshunds. That is so cute! BTW, I would never let Andrew wear the NCSU stadium pants and his da-da would never let him wear the UNC ones. We are a house divided (but I have been painting our master bathroom Carolina blue all day)! I can't believe my husband actually likes it.

Decor To Adore said...

People often comment on the 12 year age difference in my children. I generally respond that "It was God's planning." We were told that we would never have our sweet boy. But I chose to have faith and not believe it. Your Emma is coming. I have faith and believe it!

Caroline Armijo said...

Happy Birthday to your mom! It's been ages since I have seen her.

So sorry about your dad. What a sad loss this past year. Although, it is great to have the promise of a new child in your life. I am looking forward to meeting her.

Tickled Pink And Green said...

My parents were/are Mimi & Papa too.

My youngest still points to pictures that he's in and says "Papa." One time she said "I miss Papa" and I about fell over.

Tickled Pink And Green said...

One more thing....my dad's birthday was April 22 so you and I will both be sad around the same time. Also Tres Poshe Prep's dad passed away (12? years ago) on April 23 and she says she STILL has trouble with that date. We can all be sad together.

:(

Blog Design by Caked Designs