Monday, February 16, 2009

My favorite President

George Washington
"The Father of Our Country"
Fun Facts
~ Born February 22, 1732
~ First President of the United States
~ He never went to college - in fact, he only went to school for 9 years.
~ He was a General in the Army.
~ He never had any children of his own, but he rasied his wife, Martha's, children. Later they adopted their grandchildren.
~ He was 6 feet 2 inches tall (one of our tallest presidents).
~ He tried to be a better person and improve his manners by copying the 110 rules of a French priest.
~ Little was known about George Washington's childhood. The famous story about him chopping down a cherry tree is probably a myth.
~ He suffered from toothaches his entire life so he had all of his teeth pulled at age 57. He then had handcarved teeth (mostly from ivory) made for him which distorted the shape of his mouth. They were not carved from wood.
~ He lived in New York City and Pennsylvania as President but never in our current capital which is named for him.
~ He was the only President elected unaminously.


"First in war, first in peace, and first in the hearts of his countrymen"



Ironically I just asked both of my boys what they did for President's Day at school. They both claim that they didn't even talk about President's Day! I wonder if that is true, but there is no reason to doubt them.
I distinctly remember making the Presidents' profiles as a child and learning the stories about George Washington crossing the Delaware and chopping down his father's famed Cherry tree. How about you?

4 comments:

Liz Harrell said...

I didnt know he was that tall!

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

I was just reading about Martha Washington. I love learning about historical figures like this. It's interesting that he never lived in Washington.

P.S. Your blog is so pretty!! :-)

Jodee said...

I enjoyed reading the fun facts! Our schools were closed for President's Day!

Marci @All Things Wonderful said...

I enjoyed this post! What a great idea. I didn't know he only went to school for 9 years.

Blog Design by Caked Designs