Monday, October 29, 2012

Old Smithville Burying Ground

One place we also visited that first night in Southport a few weeks ago was the Old Smithville Burying Ground.   October's theme for my photography class is "fall" and with fall and October comes Halloween.  I decided I wanted to take a few photos of the tombstones for my class as a spooky take on this month's theme.

sign edited

We did not venture into the actual graveyard although it is an historic tourist sight in Southport.  Tombstones date back to the late 1700s, and it is believed that the founder of the town, Benjamin Smith, is buried here.  There are also monuments to sailors lost at sea over the years.

fence

trio

I think this one looks like a photo of a husband and a wife...a little morbid, I know.
mom and pop

And this next tombstone was my absolute favorite.  By this time, it was getting pretty dark, but I like the eeriness of these photos.
cross

cross side

I hope you all have a safe and spooky Halloween!

Prayers going out to all of the people in the path of Hurricane Sandy!

No comments:

Blog Design by Caked Designs