Saturday, April 27, 2013

Directions for Making a Flower Crown

Last night I made a simple flower crown/wreath for Emma and took her out for an impromptu photoshoot.

The crown was very simple to make...I didn't really have a plan in mind, I just started making it.

I had already bought some wrapped wire at Michaels for a different project so I grabbed that. You will need wire cutters to cut through the wire because it is fairly thick.


Then I went out into the yard and cut some fresh flowers.  I used pink camelias and Lenten roses.


I cut some azaleas as well, but they were very flimsy so I decided not to use them.  I was looking for two contrasting colors.  Mine happened to be pink and light green.

I measured Emma's head with the wire, and I cut a piece about 5 inches longer than the circumference of her head...about 24".

To secure in the shape of a circle, I just wrapped the two ends together like this:

Since the wire itself was pretty thin, I knew I would need something wider and stiff attached for the flowers to be hot glued to...

I opened the junk drawer and found a 3x5" index rocket science here.  I cut it in half long-ways to make two identical pieces and hot glued those to the wire opposite where I had wrapped the wire together.

Unfortunately, I didn't take photos as I was making the crown, but this is what I did.

I cut each stem off as close to the base of the flowers as possible. I set the hot glue gun to the LOW setting since mine gets extremely hot on high.  I was afraid the heat would compromise the flowers plus I always burn my fingers.

I started hot gluing the camelias first to the center of the index cards in a straight line.  It took 7 flowers to cover my card.  I spaced them just far enough away so that the outer petals were touching and no card was showing through.

I held each one in place until the glue firmed up so that the flowers would not slide out of place.

Once all of the main flowers were glued on, I then started filling in the spaces on top and bottom with the smaller Lenten roses.  It was not perfect at all.  I think I actually used more of the roses on one side.

I pulled some of the roses off this morning to snap some photos so you can see...


These pictures were taken this morning about 16 hours after I cut the flowers so you can see they are wilting quickly.  The crown still looked really good after 3-4 hours.




As you can see, a little of the card is still visible depending on the angle that you look at the crown.  None of the card showed while Emma was wearing the crown though.

It took me about 20 minutes to glue the flowers on.  Not long at all.

back of crown

Here is the final product...taken last night.

crown web

first against brick wall web

I am very pleased with the end result.  Emma looked beautiful!


Diane said...

LOVE this Corey!! Honestly it looks like a million bucks!!! Thanks so much for sharing:)))

Hannah said...

This is awesome! I have been planning to make a similar wreath for Sophia and just last week sat in the parking lot of Michael's on Google trying to see how to make one :) I still haven't started so this helped me even more. Thanks!

Mary Gene Atwood said...

Yes she is beautiful, and so is the crown. What a lucky girl to have you as a mama!

Mary Gene Atwood said...

Us she is beautiful, and so is the crown. She is lucky to have you as her mama!

Lisa Odom said...

Beautiful! She is really growing up quickly!

Blog Design by Caked Designs